“Best of IMAGES” features gallery exhibits, artist talks, performances and virtual student art show in lieu of live Festival
IMAGES: A Festival of the Arts, ranked #16 nationwide in the Fine Arts Festival category of Sunshine Artist magazine, has cancelled the January 2021 event because of COVID-19 concerns by artists, patrons and volunteers. Also cancelled is the annual IMAGES Tour of Homes held in early December, the festival’s signature fundraiser. Atlantic Center for the Arts, the presenting organization, made the announcement on Monday October 12.
The jury process of selecting the festival’s artists will still take place in late October. The artists who are selected will be listed with a link to their website on the IMAGES Artist page at www.imagesartfestival.org throughout 2021 and receive automatic acceptance into the 2022 Festival. The application fees will be returned to ALL artists regardless of whether they were accepted or not.
IMAGES will present two group exhibitions from January through April at Atlantic Center for the Arts at Harris House featuring 12 former “Best of Show” winners from the past two decades. During this time, we will forgo the traditional gallery sales commission and 100% of all sales will go directly to the artist. In addition, First Saturday openings during these months will give the public the opportunity to meet the Best of Show winners and the Artist Talks scheduled throughout the exhibitions will allow for a deeper look into their artistic process.
The Student Art Exhibit, featuring the artwork of our talented Southeast Volusia County students, will be presented as a virtual exhibition, accessible on the IMAGES website in late January.
ACA will also present three “Front Porch” concerts to be held at Harris House to support the musicians who would typically perform during the festival. An “Art Project in a Bag” will be distributed to children at the performances. All of these events are free and open to the public.
IMAGES is grateful for the support it has received from the community, volunteers and patrons that contributed to its highest ranking ever by the artists who participated in the Sunshine Artist survey. Our decision to celebrate the former “Best of Shows” through exhibitions, support local musicians, provide a platform for our young artists to exhibit their creations, and give free takeaway art projects to children is a reflection of our deep commitment to our core values and to our community.
An updated calendar of these events will be available on the IMAGES website in mid-November, please visit www.imagesartfestival.org.
- New Smyrna Beach, located on Florida’s east central coast south of Daytona Beach, is ranked one of the “100 Best Small Art Town in America” in the book by John Villani. New Smyrna Beach is a great place to spend the weekend! Call the Visitor Center at 800-541-9621 for information on accommodations and restaurants.
- IMAGES: A Festival of the Arts was founded 45 years ago, and is spread along Riverside Drive, partway up Canal Street, and throughout picturesque Riverside Park in New Smyrna Beach, and is open from 1 PM to 5 PM Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Saturday and 10 AM to 4 PM Sunday.
- Parking is available on Canal Street, Sams Avenue, Magnolia Street, Andrews Street, and North Riverside Drive. HANDICAPPED PARKING is available in the Chamber of Commerce parking lot, at 115 Canal Street. IMAGES volunteers can also assist those in need of handicapped parking under the South Causeway overpass accessible at Lytle and Magnolia Streets. Click here for interactive map
- Portable restrooms with handicap accessibility and running water can be found in Riverside Park, and at either end of the Festival route.
- The information tent, located at the corner of Canal Street and Riverside Drive, is the place to go to buy festival items such as t-shirts and posters, or if you get separated from your group and need help finding them.
- Free live music is featured on the IMAGES Live! entertainment tent both days in Riverside Park.
- Children can participate in hands-on art projects presented by the ACA Volunteer League and area art teachers at the Creative Education Tent. The tent is located in Riverside Park, adjacent to the playground, and is open from 10 AM to 4 PM both days. The Student Art Exhibit, featuring the work of over 100 students in Southeast Volusia schools, is adjacent to the Creative Education Tent.
- A food court on Riverside Drive features seafood, barbecue, Chinese, Italian and Polish sausage, chicken wraps, gyros, rib eye steak sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, kettle corn, funnel cakes, delicious coffee, and Coca-Cola products.
- Accommodations can be found at visitnsbfl.com
- Mission Statement – IMAGES: A Festival of the Arts, Inc., was chartered by the State of Florida in 1976, as a non-profit, cultural, and educational organization designed to present and promote the arts in Southeast Volusia County.
- Registered Charities – Atlantic Center for the Arts, Inc. Registration Number with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – CH3434
Images, A Festival of the Arts, Inc. Registration Number with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – CH36836
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE, OR ONLINE AT www.FloridaConsumerHelp.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.